To unleash and guide the potential inherent in each child, the faculty and staff at Felician Children’s Center Montessori follows the Montessori Method in the areas of Practical Life, Sensorial, Language, Math, Science and Geography. As a Catholic Christian school, Felician Children’s Center teaches basic Christian core values that provide the ethical and moral context of the curriculum.
Dr. Maria Montessori saw life as a continuum – each stage evolving from the preceding one and preparing for the next. Consequently, the education movement bearing her name is a unique complex of philosophy, educational theory, materials and methods concerned with the total development of the person from birth to maturity.
Felician Children’s Center Montessori’s primary purpose is the harmonious development of the whole being. Our carefully prepared classroom provides the environment and materials to help the children develop their potential physically, emotionally, intellectually, and socially with emphasis on the spiritual and creative growth of each child.
The Montessori approach of self-directed, yet guided, development is designed to help the child develop a love of learning, grow in self-confidence, and nurture independence, self-discipline, and a deep respect for others.
Embedded in the Montessori Primary Curriculum are many opportunities for:
- Language and Emergent Literacy: verbal written, pre-reading reading
- Mathematics: counting, decimal system, addition, subtraction, division, multiplication, fractions
- Practical Life: grace and courtesy, food preparation, environmental and personal care
- Sensorial: weight, texture, sound, size, shape
- Art: artists, art appreciation and individual creative expression
- Foreign Language: Spanish
- Geography and Cultural Diversity
- Music: vocal, instrumental, dance and rhythmic movements, percussion
- Physical Activities: indoor and outdoor
- Religion: Catholic Christian Core Values
- Science: botany, zoology
- Technology (Limited)